Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Craig Wallace wrote:
>
>     But I'd still agree with Shaun - a single GPS trace is not really
>     accurate enough for adding ways to OSM IMO.
>
> Hmmm...is there consensus on this view? My approach so far has been "any
> information that is approximately correct is better than nothing". The
> quality of information can be improved over time, and a way whose
> endpoints are correct but with a fictitious route is far more valuable
> than a completely missing way.

Anyway you put it, the map will only ever be an approximative
representation of reality, so approximation is the name of the game and
 improvement is part of it. But from approximative to fictious, there is
a line that I would not cross.

> I'm even tempted to draw a massive straight line between several
> towns to indicate roads that I know exist but that I haven't
> surveyed. Would this offend a lot of people here?

That would be using a map as an item in a to-do list. It would look ugly
to me and I doubt that many people would support that use. Better keep
the todo list separate - in another layer if you want it represented
geographically.