I've also just got an android phone and have been trying the various map
related apps.

Just tried mapdroyd today which is closed source but has the useful feature
of offering OSM maps in precompiled packages which I would certainly like
(or at least to have a decent tile cache facility) as the 3G coverage is
pretty spotty where I am.

Kevin