On Thursday 11 Mar 2010 4:02:22 pm you wrote:
> > actually Gsoc is meant for developing the application as such (as in
> > writing code), not working on end user documentation and tools.
>
> Not only, I know several projects where user manuals and documentation
> where created during GSoC. There was one localization effort too. Not
> fully sure, but I think this could fly.

I myself am only an enduser of OSM - at the most I have contributed a few
icons, but as a long term lurker on the GSoC list, I *have* noticed that some
projects set their goals a bit low - and others set them very high. GSoc
student pool is a very talented one - it would be good to use them for more
critical things. Of course, OSM unlike other projects is basically a
collection of tools maintained by various people, so difficult to achieve a
consensus.

> So more or less I think it is excellent idea for OSM GSoC, because it
> is doable for student, project will benefit greatly and result can be
> extensible beyond one summer and one student's efforts.

from the quality of students that I have seen - 'doable' has quite a high
standard. That said, I will go back to the lurking mode.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves