On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Steve Hill <st...@nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Gregory wrote:
>
>> What makes you think the Yahoo! imagery and/or the contour lines shown on
>> the Cycle Map(these  contours are from SRTM data, not OSM) are more up to
>> date or more accurate/precise than the existing water body drawn in OSM?
>
> Indeed.  Also, ISTR the cycle map fakes up realistic looking contours for
> void-filling doesn't it?

Indeed. Moreover, if you were to peel away the lakes that are in
there, you'd find many of them have contour lines running under them,
since the SRTM data is much less accurate than OSM data. It's really
just a bodge to make things look pretty (and to help you see which way
is uphill/downhill) rather than a serious datasource. It'll be even
worse in a few weeks when I start smoothing out the contours, making
them even more fake then they are already.

In saying that, if the existing lake is especially crappy (e.g. a
rectangle) and large (over 1km) then I could see how you can improve
the shape with the aid of some contours.

Cheers,
Andy