On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM, jamesmikedup...@googlemail.com <
jamesmikedup...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> My only point is that, like sf.net we should not be hosting non free
> software on the osm site (s).

OSM wiki is not a project hosting site, so your analogy is misguided. It's a
collection of information about OSM things, so if you want to make it
relevant, you shouldn't employ censorship. After all, OSM wiki is already
full of "advertizing" (take a look at the first couple of sentences on the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin page). As long as information on
the wiki is objective and doesn't try to promote somebody's commercial
interests _directly_, I don't see why non-open source software shouldn't be
mentioned.

The authors of such software should however be aware that placing the
documentation/manuals for their software on the OSM wiki is problematic,
since the license (probably) doesn't allow them to reuse the docs somewhere
else. That's why I decided not to host the docs there for the OSM project
I'm currently working on. And yes, it's not open-source.

Regards,
Igor