2010/5/18 SteveC <st...@asklater.com>:
> You couldn't sort of extrapolate forward from a GIS system to OSM. You
> couldn't extrapolate from crappy Nokia phones forward to the > iPhone
> (without hindsight, of course).

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. You can't compare a
logo (an abstract graphic whose main task is high recognition value,
make us identificable and visually memorable and create sympathy) to a
complex tecnical system with completely different requirements.

> Yes you could take the existing logo and just make it red or something, but
> that's just not nearly as appealing as changing it fundamentally because
> there's a sea of other ideas out there that are worth looking at.

that's fine with me, I wasn't suggesting minor changes like turning it
red or change the font, I think one could restyle it and change it
fundamentally in some way whilst still maintaining some continuity
with the current one (not necessarily with the style and colours, but
more regarding the idea behind it). I agree if there is an appealing
idea to represent us in a form that is incompatible with the current
logo but nevertheless better, we should consider taking it - only I
haven't seen this so far. Why not extend the OSMF-logo-competition and
get some different proposals for an OSM-logo as well to vote on?

Btw.: there are lots of good designs here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Logo
and we originally wanted to vote till Dec. 2009.

cheers,
Martin