On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net> wrote:
> yes. there's little hope for useful defaults, the defaults vary too much
> from place to place.

>From country to country perhaps, and maybe state to state - but not
within states. In Victoria (Australia), guessing maxspeed=50 for
highway=residential will be right 95% of the time. It's certainly less
effort to build and implement a table of defaults than to tag every
single way, but the question is: whose effort?

Still, I'm going to try and make sure I tag all roads of 60kph or
higher at least. Though it's surprisingly hard to remember them when I
just look at the map.

To Australian mappers: is there a free government source of speed limits?

Steve