On 24 May 2010 11:33, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> My personal favourite would be to separate the concept of a country from
> its geographic (and some other) properties.
>
> Currently people will create a relation named "France" which has all the
> border lines, or border sub-relations, as members, and tags like
> name:de=Frankreich and all that.
>
> But I'm tempted to throw in another level: Have one relation that
> represents the country of France. Here you can enter all the names and
> link to the Wikipedia article for France and so on. Something that
> represents the city of Paris - whether that's a simple node or maybe a
> relation too - cold be a member of the France relation with the role
> "capital".
>
> Then have another relation that models the borders of France, and make
> this a member of the France relation (role="borders" or so).
>
> Your relation, which has lots of routing/navigation parameters for
> France, could also be a member of that same France relation
> (role="highway_code" or something).
>
> And so on. Relations galore! I know some people across the channel will
> grumble but they'll get used to relations some time too.

+1
I think it is the way it should be. Geographical information should be
separated from data whenever possible. I think Poland and Spain relations
are interesting with the way they create a hierarchy of subarea but mixing
information at the same level which is plainly wrong according to me.
Separating the two layers would have avoid some problems.

Emilie Laffray