On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Nic Roets <nro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Matt Williams <li...@milliams.com> wrote:
> > The road should simply be marked as having no pavement/sidewalk.
> > Something like pavement=yes/no is a start at least. It's best to avoid
> > subject assessments like how dangerous a road is.
>
> Ideally, yes. But routing software can't possibly process the logic
> correctly in cases like these. Some roads may not have a pavement, but
> they are safe for pedestrians due to the lack of traffic. In other
> cases extreme footways should not be used because of crime.

What does lack of traffic matter?  Unless you mean absolutely no traffic, I
don't think that makes much difference.  If the road is unsafe to walk on,
I'm not going to walk down it whether there's 1 car a day or 10,000.  If
there's a low enough speed limit maybe.

If you don't trust your own opinion, ask a few locals if they would
> advise a tourist to walk there. If they say no, then tag them with
> foot=no and add a note describing why you did it.

So because a few locals wouldn't advise a tourist to walk there you're going
to tag the road equivalently to one that is illegal to walk on?  I think
we've gotta do better than that.  I'd prefer the ambiguous foot=dangerous to
foot=no.  Especially if you're saying that high traffic + no pavement =
dangerous (I've walked on plenty of roads with high traffic and no pavement
- as long as they have a shoulder I wouldn't tag them as "foot=no, never,
way too dangerous", I'd tag them as "foot=try to find a better route, but if
you must, use caution".

How about "foot=destination"? :)  I'm kidding, but it'd be better (and more
accurate) than foot=no.