2010/6/2 John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com>:
> With many high-speed highways (such as Interstate Highways in the USA,
> Autobahn in Germany, etc.) you may have wide shoulders, but pedestrian use on
> the shoulders is inadvisable and/or illegal, because crossing to the other
> side means having to judge the speed of multiple lanes of traffic.

don't know for US Interstates, but for all the German Autobahns it is
legally forbidden to use it by foot, horse, bicycle, tractors, any
other motorized vehicle that has 50ccm and less and any other vehicle
that has a maxspeed equal or below 60 (or 80km/h, don't remember
clearly).

The same applies to "Kraftfahrstraßen", which are roads signed with
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Zeichen_331.svg&filetimestamp=20060729145019

This one (which can besides trunks also be primaries or maybe
secondary roads) we tag additionally with motorroad=yes.

These are legal restrictions and I don't expect routers to lead you
there on foot. On all other roads (no matter if inside or outside
closed settlements, and given that there are no other explicit
restrictions) you are legally entitled to walk, ride your bike/horse,
... even though you usually wouldn't (have to) do so on bigger
streets.

cheers,
Martin