On 3 June 2010 11:45,  <si...@mungewell.org> wrote:
> or which door bell to press, or the phone number, or....

The phone number can already be added to objects, but at this point in
time there is no ID permanence, which would be useful. As an added
bonus it would be some free advertising for OSM.

> but seriously... there is a limit to the amount of data we should be
> placing into the OSM servers.

What is that limit exactly? and more to the point who determines it?
under what conditions?

> I would think that a small 2D barcode with lat/long might suffice for
> getting someone there, or providing navigation services to that location.
> You are welcome to have alternate ideas.

This isn't supposed to be a navigational aide, it's an ID permanence
aide, something that can't be done at present with OSM and which can
be detrimental for sharing objects from OSM with other 3rd parties,
for example the osmfuel.org site uses OSM IDs for fuel locations, but
these IDs can change at which point the new ID will need to be found
so the information can stay cross referenced.