On 1 July 2010 11:19, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM,  <zve...@textual.ru> wrote:
> > As you can see, on islands there are nine labels with street names, but
> > plenty of space
> > for such labels on many streets and avenues. Those names are not
> rendered,
> > obviously,
> > because most streets consist of several ways, due to routing and public
> > transport reasons.
> >
> > Is there any plan, or just a thought, to merge ways on a rendering stage
> > display
> > more street name labels? If not, why? Is there a renderer which does
> that?
>
> I suggest you file a Mapnik bug in the trac.
> --

But if mapnik is given a set of different ways to render, then presumably
its current behaviour is correct and a bug report inappropriate.  It's
probably not appropriate for mapnik to make decisions about joining ways
together; I assumed zverik's comment related to osm2pgsql or the like, where
ways (or sets of relations) could be joined.

Ben Last
Development Manager (HyperWeb)
NearMap Pty Ltd