On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Maarten Deen <md...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The problem is that if you go to a rule "one road, name displayed once",
> you will have to search for the name of the road if the road is very long.

The actual rule is: treat it as a single OSM way and then decide how often
to repeat the name for longer ways.

> This might not be a problem with residential roads on lower zoom levels,
> but it will with e.g. motorways on higher zoom levels.
>
> Look example [1]. There is no name on the motorway (I've got my browser
> about 1100 pix wide).
> I have deliberately cut a local stream up to make the name render in more
> places.

It's up to the renderer to decide how often to repeat the name. Cutting up
ways just to make it look better for a certain renderer (Mapnik) isn't
really a good practice. And anyway, this depends on the zoom level: once you
zoom into enough, you will still get ways that will be long and with one
label only. And if you zoom out, you won't get _any_ labels, since the split
ways will be too short to show anything.

Igor