Am 08.08.2010 18:29, schrieb 80n:

>     With enough (motivated) people we can take any data loss, and rebuild
>     our database to be better within a short timeframe.
>

> Any data loss will be a serious morale blow.  Just the talk of data loss
> is already having an impact.

The point being wether there are enough new people to compensate for the
lack of motivation by the old mappers. this will of course vary wildly
depending on how the local OSM communities work.

>     It may sound arrogant, but if you look at it rationally, we could even
>     compensate for mappers demotivated by any data loss by the growth of our
>     community.
>

> An expectation that the community will continue to grow is unrealistic.
> The following figures, from Nick Black, show a 1% drop in active
> contributors in one month.  This suggests that the size of the community
> may already have peaked.  Data loss will not improve this picture.

Contributors actively working on OSM is not the same as Active
contributors. There are some (many?) that will want to sit out the
license change outcome, and I'm rather surprised it went down only
by 1%.

--
Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.