On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Matt Amos <zerebub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> But the contents aren't just facts, especially when it comes to
>>> subjective tags like smoothness...
>>
>> it's great that you think that, but many lawyers think otherwise. in
>> any case, they'll be just facts if someone strips the smoothness tags
>> out.
>>
>> wouldn't you prefer to protect the *whole* database?
>
> Can we get a collection of quotes from those lawyers that you say
> "think otherwise"?  Exact quotes of what they said?

unfortunately not. apparently legal advice can't be publicly shared
without making the lawyers in question liable for it. given that our
legal advisors are acting for us pro-bono and have asked that we don't
quote them publicly, i don't think it would be nice to do that.

> Also an example of licenses which distinguish "the whole database"
> from "the individual contents of the database" would be helpful.  How
> does that make any more sense than releasing a book under "CC-BY-SA,
> for the book, and CC0 for the individual words of the book".

the ODbL is the only example i know of. and your example is good: it's
not possible to copyright individual dictionary words, as far as i
know, but the collection of them is protectable. releasing the words
as CC0 is simply a tautology in this case, as the DbCL is in many
jurisdictions by waiving copyright in individual data.

cheers,

matt