On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net> wrote:
> On 1/1/11 1:43 PM, Anthony wrote:
>>
>> It looks to me like the core database is correct.  Biittig Road
>> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/5629489) is not in Averill
>> Park (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/175579).
>>
> ok, i didn't think i need to cover this.
>
> the name Averill Park has three different meanings.
>
> 1) there is a Hamlet, with a corresponding Census Designated
> Place. that's the boundary that's actually in OSM at the present time.
> it's a relatively small area. the issues with Census Designated Places
> should be known to US mappers already.

I'm aware of the issues with some CDPs.  However, it's not clear to me
whether or not they apply to a New York Hamlet.  Specifically, does a
New York Hamlet have a well defined boundary, or is it just something
made up by the census bureau?  If the latter, then yeah, it shouldn't
be in OSM at all, but that's not going to help Nominatim.

> 2) there's a Very Large school district, not in OSM and not germane
> to this discussion. it's borders are Very Substantially greater than
> the borders of the Hamlet in 1)

My understanding was that we don't include school districts in OSM,
but I certainly wouldn't be opposed it.

On the other hand, while this may help in this particular case, it's
not going to help in general.

> 3) there's a post office, which delivers to a Very Large Area, much
> larger than the boundaries of the CDP. the actual postal addressing
> is what people going to Nominatim are likely to be trying to use
> for "ordinary" lookups.

Yes, and that's something that definitely does *not* belong in OSM.
If Nominatim wants to do this sort of lookup (and it probably should),
the shapefiles can be downloaded here
(http://www.census.gov/geo/ZCTA/zcta.html).