On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>> The *main* reason for the active-contributor definition is that we need to
>> exclude those who are dead, unreachable, or have lost interest, from the
>> decision-making process.
>
> Those people aren't going to respond within three weeks to an email, are they?

Maybe they'll respond with an autoresponder, which just goes to show
why the active contributor definition was poorly drafted, but
presumably "respond" is going to be defined as clicking on some sort
of link somewhere, and not merely replying to the email.

It seems to me very accidental the way the active contributor
definition and the 2/3 majority interpretation combine.  Why not just
define active contributors as active contributors, say that you have
to attempt to send them an email at their last known email address and
give them at least 3 weeks from the time the email is sent to vote,
and then make the threshold 2/3 majority of voting active
contributrors?

Or better yet, drop the "active" from the "active contributors", and
make inactive contributors eligible to vote as well.  They still won't
be counted towards the 2/3 requirement unless they actually show up
and vote, which is a good indicator that they're not dead,
unreachable, or have lost interest.