On 6 January 2011 14:45, Mike Collinson <m...@ayeltd.biz> wrote:

>  Thanks Tom, this is excellent news and what the License Working Group was
> hoping would happen.
>
> http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/open-government-licence.htm
>  http://www.jordanhatcher.com/2010/uk-open-government-licence-now-out/
>
> The new attribution clause (and the main requirement) is far more practical
> in application than the previous one:
>
> "acknowledge the source of the Information by including any attribution
> statement specified by the Information Provider(s) and, where possible,
> provide a link to this licence; "
>
> There is no longer any requirement to potentially force downstream users of
> OSM geodata to do the same.
>
> Clause 4 of the new CTs may cover us completely, [it was designed for
> governmental organisations] and I have updated
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution. However,  the LWG has also
> been working for planet dumps and [X]API responses to include an XML element
> pointing to the same Attribution link to better discharge our distribution
> responsibilities.
>
> Any other comments and reviews welcome.  Peter, do you feel good to go?

Which Peter? This Peter ;) If you mean me then yes, I am very happy with it
because the LWG says it is happy. It is certainly good news I can will now
sign up to the new T&Cs. In addition ITO will encourage more people within
the UK to make more use of the OS open data now. Out current OS Locator
comparison service shows that we now have 33 out of a total of some 410
districts within GB where the match between OSM and OS Locator is over 95%,
and in addition we have 129 where the match is at over 80%. In total OSM has
added some 140,000 road names which match with OS Locator since 1 April 2010
and at this rate all of them will be in some time this year - possibly
faster with this recent clarification! Check out the product here:
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/osm_analysis/

Thanks to everyone who has been pressing for this all these years!

Regards,

Peter