On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:
> On 2/20/2011 6:47 PM, Daniel Sabo wrote:
>>
>> If the TIGER import hadn't happened I would have had zero interest in OSM,
>> a vast empty map is not very inspiring.
>
> Not only that, but I've never seen someone pop up to add their own
> subdivision streets in the empty area.

Mike N, you must have missed the first x-years of the project.
Neither aerial imagery, nor imports were available.  ;-)  Of course,
renderers were missing too.  Not only subdivisions, but cities, lakes
and oceans were missing.

Daniel says above that the vast empty map would be uninspiring to him,
but clearly it inspired some of our pioneers.

This isn't to say that new contributors aren't welcome.  You sure are.
 This also isn't to say that "things should stay the way they were in
the old days."  I think we all love Minutely Mapnik and many of the
other innovations of recent years.