On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Bernhard Zwischenbrugger
<b...@datenkueche.com> wrote:

> Where can I access the OSM data?
>
> I know it is possible to download the hole planet, setup a database,... but
> that's not an easy task.

Setting up a full mirror of any constantly changing data is
non-trivial, and there are people in the project working on making it
easier.

> I'm a teacher and my students are able to load data from an API and display
> the data on a map.
> Last year we did some projects using XAPI - but then xapi was broken.

That's unfortunate, and had to do with lots of factors.

But then Ian stepped up and wrote replacement code, and now you can
run your own XAPI, use OSM's, or Mapquest's.

> We had about 100 API Requests per week. For that amount of requests it makes
> no sense to have a local copy of the db.
> But without db we are not able to read osm data.

Sure, but then you might similarly say "Do we need fresh data or can
we simply use an extract for teaching purposes?".

Live demos never work- relying on external services for teaching, same
thing. But I digress.

> Without data everything is tile based and that's the same as google and bing
> are offering.
> MapQuest is offering XAPI now - but will it still be available in 2 month?

I suspect so.

But if this is so vital to your class, maybe your university could
offer resources to the project.

- Serge