On 28 July 2011 10:45, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/28 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxf...@gmail.com>:
>> "name" is what is on (the majority of) the signs
>

> name is the name. Or what would be the name if the sign-majority was
> defined and there were 2 differing signs? nil? Or if there was 1 sign
> and that was spellt wrong? Signs are indices, but they contain errors
> and bugs like everything else.

the sign (and a map, including OSM) is an attempt to quantify and
record the social reality of the name of the street

as social reality depends upon the observer, there are potentially
lots of answers to how we write the name. which is how we end up with
'do what you, a local, think is appropriate' - also known as 'ground
truth'

trying to find a definitive 'correct' answer is thus by definition
impossible and likely to end in dispute (or at least a very long mail
thread with no resolution...)

and yeah, i come from England, live in NZ, so map both Derbyshire and Auckland

--
robin

http://bumblepuppy.org/blog/?p=237 - government bill to remove basic
human rights in NZ