andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 July 2011 12:01, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:
> > Increasingly you can treat "St" as a valid spelling of the word
> "saint",
> > rather than merely an abbreviation. No (educated) native English
> speaker
> > would write a placename with 'Saint', and every native English
> speaker would
> > pronunce St in that context as 'saint'.
>
> Still only if provided with enough context to correctly guess which of
> the words spelt St it is.  This isn't the most complicated case, you
> only need to process about one word ahead as context (or in this case
> perhaps just knowing it's at the start of the name), but for many
> tasks it would be great to eliminate the guessing.
>
> Cheers

That is the reason I feel that it would be best to store the fully-spelled-out
name, and then apply localized rules to look up any abbreviations needed at
rendering time.   Using the full form to determine the abbreviation is much
less ambiguous than the other way around.

--
John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to