* Michal Migurski <m...@stamen.com> [2011-09-07 09:13 -0700]:
> This kind of thing [joining roads with similar names] really needs to be
> applied all-at-once to a large dataset, because it can really mess with
> tile boundaries when done at render-time.

I'd be interested in any view-based solutions people have come up for
merging road names.  I've tried three different approaches that all fall
short one way or another.  I can generate an auxilary table with the
merged geometries, but that won't be updated by the minutely updates.
I've tried setting up recursive queries to spider their way along the
extents of connected identically-named roads, but that gets really slow
and I never got it working quite right.  What I've settled on is running
an ST_Collect() across all the ways in the current metatile's bbox, but
that, as you note, makes for a lot of artifacts at tile boundaries.

--- --
Sometimes I wonder if cows are really free.
                       -- Bucky Menchaca