----- Original Message ----- From: "Lambert Carsten" <lhc....@solcon.nl>
To: <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Naming dispute over Jerusalem - OSM failure

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 11:39:16 -0400
Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Serge Wroclawski
> <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

I said that you can't get consensus from idle accounts.

> I like David's idea with the specific tag "name:disputed".

The status of Jerusalem as part of Israel is not disputed except by
the same sort of people who might say that London is not the capital
of the UK.

The fact that some people don't like the situation doesn't change
that.

A "disputed" tag will result in many things being marked disputed. I
can think of a bunch even in the US.

I have to agree here. It also doesn't solve disputes about what is
disputed.

But I think we have to recognise that there are some genuine disputes, and at the end of the day we are a provider of mapping data, not a dispute resolution service.

David

In other words it doesn't force parties to agree to disagree.
And rightly so, sometimes (rarely I'll admit) people can be mistaken. :)

Lambert Carsten