On 27/05/2012 17:11, Colin Smale wrote:
On 27/05/2012 17:54, Worst Fixer wrote:
I want know why importer uses following tags:

* chicago:building_id (314 330 objects, used by 2 users).

I sent letter to importer, and he said he will not import this tag any
more. But, he continues to. No justification of need for tag was given.

Who has the right to ban a tag? Where does it say that a tag has to be
justified?

I understand your concerns about the import process, but not your
allergy to tags which don't fit your idea of what's valid.

Indeed, users need such tags. If you have a database that it is not appropriate to include in OSM, it is important to have a means of linking the items in each, and using OSM IDs is not usually viable because they change at the drop of a hat. Using a reference scheme to link the two database is a widely used technique. Most of the bus stops in the UK are done like this because they are linked to a third party database of bus stops from which they were derived.

David