1. No, in this case Russian name should be in name:ru only. Since the
official language is Ukrainian this should be used.
2. The area should not be limited by sq km but by independent
administrative body (country or its autonomous part). If there is
official language, this should be used, if there is not one the most
common should be it.

Generally only name:language keys should be used in my opinion. It
does not cause editing wars - this issue is moved to rendering, which
is far easier to control. Even in undisputed areas there is added
information about the language...

LM_1