On 09/19/2012 10:55 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> [1] Of course, I don't mean you personally, Jean-Marc. I have no idea
> of your OSM screen name, if you are a Cadastre importer or if you use
> an import account. I mean those who have been knowingly ignoring the
> import guidelines.
I was not integrating Cadastre data, until a couple of days ago when I
did a couple of villages just to make sure that I understand the problem
well enough and confirm that it does take manual work to do it right.

One of the possible outcomes of the current debates is that the current
rules are just fine as they are. But even if things turn out that way,
the occurrence of this debate shows that not everyone was convinced.
That is why I offered to clarify the consensual reasons for the rules,
so that the rules become evident to all - including the current
skeptics; or that they are modified to fit those consensual reasons.

In your message, you explain in detail the profile of some of the
dissenting editors and some of the explanations given by those who just
find the rules inconvenient. Indeed some of the dissent is antisocial
and must be controlled, and most of the inconvenience explanations can
be addressed technically. But that still does not make clear for
everyone the reasons for those rules.

Many people on this list have been collaborating for long enough to have
mutually adjusted and internalized a set of implicit values that
represent OSM culture. But that culture is not entirely homogeneous,
especially since linguistic barriers weaken the links with large clumps
of users. So we need debate, to resolve the differences or find that
there are no differences after all. We cannot do that with implicit
values : we have to make them explicit. Today the rules are explicit,
but not the reasons that underlie them.

Expliciting can be tedious and provoke annoying nitpicking, but I fear
that dissent will recur as long as the dissenters don't feel that they
have been made part of an inclusive process that grounds the rules in
mutually agreed values.

So let's enumerate the whys of the hows.