On 2012-10-19 at 10:36:40 +0200, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
> On 19/10/2012 10:14, Elena ``of Valhalla'' wrote:
> >you can't expect people from the project to speak French, German,
> >Italian, Spanish, Polish and every other language spoken whenever
> >people want to form a local OSM community (or just map).
> That is why intermediaries are needed - and why the English speakers
> must learn to accept the need for international intermediation.

who are these English speakers?

It is true that the project started in the UK, and there is a
significant British community, but I suspect that today the german
community alone easily outnumbers them.
In the board there are members from UK, Germany, Netherlands
and Switzerland, I don't think they are all native English speakers.

I don't know where the people in the DWG are from, but I suspect
that they come from similar areas.

Yes, they all speak English as a second language, and that is the
language they use for OSM work.

> >* When there is an important announce in this mailing list it only takes a
> >few hours for it to be posted on the italian ML, usually translated.
> Yes - and it does not happen magically.

No, it has started to happen spontaneously, because somebody in
the italian comminity saw the need and made it happen.
Nobody in the foundation had to do anything.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''