There are a million highway=bus_stop nodes, they are rendered, and there's
no very good reason to change them.

There are 118,000 public_transport=platform nodes, of which 67% also have
highway tags.

I'd just put highway=bus_stop on the public_transport=platform nodes (if
they are bus stops), and be done with it.