On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Jeff Meyer <j...@gwhat.org> wrote:
> > Are there any tools that can tip users to what they could do in a
> particular
> > map area?
>
> In my experience, when mappers go out and start to map, they discover
> things that interest them straight away.
>

> >   -- Fewer addresses - learn how to add
> >   -- Fewer buildings - learn how to add
> >   -- Fewer POIs - learn how to add
> >   -- POIs that would normally have buildings, but don't (e.g. schools)
> >   -- Zorro Ways - learn how to fix
> >   -- There's a park with no trails - learn how to add
> >   -- etc.
>
> That's be very cool and not *super* hard to do. Something similar is
> being done with TIGER desserts.
>
> > In general, I'm thinking of something that will help new users answer the
> > question, "How can I help?," particularly for their local 'hood without
> > sending them to too (too) many off-map web resources. Or even a
> suggestive
> > OSM Inspector?
>
> I think the best way is to do mapping parties, but we've talked about
> tools and I think a tool that would help new mappers with tasks would
> be great.

At the DC Hack Weekend (Feb 2012?) this was one of the functions proposed
for user activity streams.  Something that recognizes mapper progress "I
see that you've added a local gas station..." and suggests likely next
steps "did you know that you can include the address?" or goals "The
nearest OSM hospital to your home location is 3.4km away. Do you know of
another one that is nearer?".  But also that avoids turning into some sort
of cartographic-Clippy. :-)