On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> Am 02.01.2013 11:41, Robin Paulson wrote:
> > http://store.axismaps.com/product/boston-blue
> >
> > osm is mentioned on the web site, but not on the poster itself.
> >
> > suggestions, comments, etc. requested please.
>
> I'm assuming that they only sell these posters though their site? In
> that case, it is not a license violation if the site properly attributes
> OSM.*
>
> If their customer then publicly displays or re-distributes these posters
> without informing the viewer/recipient about the source, the customer
> would indeed be committing a license violation - but for that we cannot
> technically blame the original vendor.
>
> Tobias
>
> * I'm ignoring the missing link to the license for now.

Axis Maps spoke with LWG some time ago.  You can probably find them in the
archives on this list as well.  Attribution on the map looks great,
presuming that they made the map from pre-change data.  They also mention
OSM on the site.  Both of those aspects seem good.

Has anybody contacted them to find out if the data and maps are older or
newer?  If one was concerned about this issue, after seeing the attribution
on the map, one could drop a note to le...@osmfoundation.org and LWG will
put it on their list for the next LWG meeting.

Tobias' suggestion that I could not hang this poster in my home unless I
tell every visitor about the data license seems to over reach what is
required by normal copyright.  I don't have to tell you that my Picasso is
a Picasso* when you come over for Mappy Hour.

We are talking about a printed poster here, right?  If I bought one then
made and sold copies, I suspect that Axis Maps would have issues with me
copying without permission, just as the author of a book might not like me
copying and reselling their book.  But if I were to copy and resell it,
with the OSM attribution on it, I can't see a reasonable
data-license-violation there.

* /me does not actually have a Picasso :-)