IMHO there is no connection between the port to a different style
sheet language and the decision which zoom level gets rendered.

The connection is that the current stylesheet is abandonware. If anything is to be fixed then it'll be in the Carto port.

Space requirements depend mostly on the actual usage (how many of them
would be created). I guess it wouldn't make sense to prerender them

"I guess" is nice for mailing lists, but the sysadmins can't be asked to make decisions based on a guess. Evidence is more helpful.

cheers
Richard