The rationale for making the change in Leaflet is to make it so that you
can zoom in several levels on a given point without needing to reposition
your cursor at each zoom level. For that reason, I prefer the new behavior.

Included in the next set of changes to the map UI is the ability to add a
marker to the permalink. It will be positionable via dragging. No URL
editing required:

http://mapui.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/