On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 08:01:03PM +0100, Lester Caine wrote:
> Sorry, but this is the whole problem with the way things had been
> reorganised. 'Dirt' trackways need to be rendered in a different way
> to highway=service, and from a rendering point of view having to
> search other tags to modify the base rendering, and also routing, is
> just wrong. So I will not use highway=service for trackways around
> here that are still used by school buses, refuse trucks and delivery
> lorries. As a result tracks that are only suitable for agricultural
> access get tagged as paths to distinguish them from the ones that
> are used more publically, but are not 'highways'. Sat Nav routing is
> giving some strange results and long detours avoiding some of these
> public trackways so sorting this out is important.

paths = 1 stripe of dirt
track = 2 stripes of dirt

track - aggricultural use only/mostly - but still for some destinations
the ONLY way to reach them e.g. ME. Currently for example
OpenRouteService will not be able to generate a route to my home. It
reaches 800m near on a service road with NO way to continue.
Sometimes it even will generate ~15km longer routes to the exact same
deadend because tracks are by definition not allowed for routing in
OpenRouteService.

routing is completely based on highway classification e.g. unclassified,
tertiary, secondary, primary, motorway.

Rendering is (should) be done on the classification and may be
changed by additional tags as its done right now for tracks e.g. grade

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de