Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
Since the majority of sat nav's are now smart devices, why can't they all be
reporting back the average speed where they are so we can automatically map
the current traffic hot spots?

That data is already available for sale from mobile network operators - that is
why you don't see much interest in having navigation devices provide feedback:
every mobile device is already providing ample sampling. Of course that doesn't
help the free world very much...

That is why what I'm thinking is the 'free' version ;)
A sort of agreed standard linked to the various OSM routing options?

Maarten - I can understand your reluctance on always on data, currently I do get gaps in the mapping on the motorways here were there simply isn't any cover, but moving forward I think that particular problem will eventually be fixed.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL