Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for sharing this piece. I'm actually friends with the author
and she's gotten really great feedback. I'm pleased to see it showing up in
our community.

I definitely think this is something we can be better about. As someone who
has helped organize SOTM-US in the past I think it's absolutely something
where we have room to improve. As an event organizer, I am 100% a part of
the problem, so I want to personally apologize to anyone who has felt
uncomfortable or less welcome at an event because of alcohol, and a lack of
ample non-alcoholic choices. We can do better.

That piece makes these points far better than I could, so I won't repeat
what we've read, but I think that the tech community (which OSM frequently
mirrors, in social respects), is slowly becoming more aware of the need to
make events more inclusive, and lessening the reliance on alcohol is one
important way to do that.

As an aside, since I am an American I cannot say whether this is just an
American problem. I will say that I also find many tech events in Berlin
are focused around alcohol, but perhaps the events I've attended have been
anomalies.

Best,
Kathleen