On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 3:09 AM, Maarten Deen <md...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> But are there a lot of these repair stations around? I know of none. We
> usually have our bikes repaired in a bike shop.

I made list of manufacturers of this type of station at
http://guides.obviously.com/Public-Bicycle-Work-and-Repair-Stands-2/1925  ).
And then talked to the marketing department at each one.  I estimate there
are some 5000 units worldwide, which rose sharply in 2014.

I figure that OSM has a small role to play here: if everyone's smartphone
bike app can FIND these stations, that will increase awareness and thus
encourage universities and cities to install them.

I wrote a template letter for the manufacturers to include with the
stations, with instructions on how to map.
My goal is that OSM become the worldwide "go to" map for this type of
feature, and I think we can get there with everyone pitching in!
The winner here will be the one with the most momentum.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 3:51 AM, MichaƂ Brzozowski <www.ha...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Great idea. I added three in the Tricity area, Poland.
> Anyway, if newer tagging scheme will be agreed upon, you may freely
re-tag them.

Most important to me is *brand=Xxxxxx* , to help keep the vendors engaged.
I also like *service:bicycle:chaintool=yes/no* as not all stations have
this (sometimes) crucial tool.
The iD preset has both now.

> On a side note: To be even more useful, these stations could feature a
> vending machine (presumably electricity-less - like these with small
> toys in capsules or... more adult-oriented stuff :P) selling tire
> repair kits.

You mean like this?  This this station offers repair, parts, tires, and
tire recycling in one station:
<http://www.bikefixtation.com/products/>

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Bernd Weigelt <weigelt.be...@web.de> wrote:
> In Germany many repair stations called 'Radstation' are supported by the
> Caritas organisation example http://www.radstationbonn.de/

The *amenity=bicycle_repair_station* is meant for standalone unattended,
usually outdoor, usually 24/7 stations.
There's separate tagging which would indicate a shop or bike storage
facility also offers DIY bike repair and tools.

So if you participate in an OSM forum with a lot of cyclists,  would you
ask them "have you seen an unattended bicycle repair station"?
What brand was it?  Could you map it?