On 14/03/2015 21:48, Andreas Goss wrote:
Just because people some people make bad decisions when mapping, doesn't
mean that the whole project has to lower its standards.

And some people in this case are what? 99%? I seriously there are many people who would spend a second though when changing Toilets=

As an aside I'd guess, based on the tag-changing changesets that I see in the history list locally, that between 30-50% of them are problematical in some way:

o Sometimes what was tagged originally was nonsensical, and the correct response should be "clearly that makes no sense; I need to resurvey it" rather than "let me just change the tags to something that looks valid"

o Sometimes some "non-standard tag" is removed because the person editing remotely simply does not understand the concept that the original mapper was trying to get across. It might very well be that there _isn't_ an appropriate tag in wide use in OSM right now; but removing the original mappers tag is not the right thing to do.

o Sometimes the person changing the tags is acting in good faith based on external QA such as the JOSM validator*, or the OSM wiki. An example would be the assumption that the wiki that "coniferous" was synonymous with "not deciduous".

So to answer the original question, I think that most mappers _would_ give a second thought to an "obvious" tag change. It doesn't mean that they wouldn't change "hihgway=footway" to "highway=footway", but it does mean that they'd have a look at see if it really did look like a footway first.

Cheers,

Andy

* and it's worth mentioning here that every time I've raised a validator "false positive" with the JOSM developers they've resolved the issue almost immediately.

** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8nHaelWtc