Hi
deleting abandoned railways if they are still clearly visible on the ground
isn't okay.
Near my hometown we have one of these rail trails.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/247337009
It has been a light rail track and now it is used as asphalt cycle way. As
you can see it is tagged as railway=abandoned and as highway=cycleway and
gets rendered as cycleway. So it seems the tagging and rendering should be
fine for this kind of ways.
As Andrew already said, try to talk with the one who deleted the railways.
In this case it might be a problem:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/30174498
The person only made two changesets four months ago.

In the future the best practice might be:

   - Check who deleted the railway (for example using
   http://zverik.osm.rambler.ru/whodidit/)
   - try to contact the person (don't be harsh! allways try assume they
   made it by accident or lack of knowledge)
   - revert the changeset/part of the chagneset

Reverting the changeset without the permission of the the person might lead
to an edit war so becareful.