Glenn Powers writes:
 > For the record, I deleted an abandoned railway that leads through a new
 > housing development, because it didn't make any sense to leave it there.
 >
 > Satellite images clearly show ground gradings indicating an abandoned
 > railway. IIRC, it was also featured in century-old county atlases.

I don't understand. You're saying that you could see the railroad on
satellite imagery, and you deleted it rather than marking it as
railway=dismantled??

I'm NOT in favor of incorrectly tagging railways. Not at all. If a
section of it is dismantled, then by all means mark it as
dismantled. Go ahead. Don't let me stop you from improving the map.

But deleting it? That isn't improving the map data, it's destroying it.
Why is that so hard for people to understand? You don't make the map
better by deleting true things out of it. "I can see the railway at
point A, I can see it at point B, I can't see it inbetween, I'm going
to mark it as dismantled." THAT is perfectly fine. But deleting it?
Whyever in the world would you do that?

Seriously, folks, I don't understand the impulse to delete rather than
tag correctly.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog