On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:18:17 -0400
Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:

> But what gives them the right to delete things that other people CAN
> see and DO want to have in OSM?

Because mapping thoroughly destroyed objects that no longer exist (like
rail lines where even earthworks are levelled and houses are built over
place where railway used to be - something defended in this thread by
some) is a dangerous precedent that would lead to a complete mess (like
mapping destroyed and no longer existing objects and slapping end_date
on them or mapping objects that never existed and pretending that
putting start_date on them makes it OK).

Mapping proposed and potential (so not existing, unverifiable and
likely to never appear) is already major problem in my region.

Adding to that objects that no longer exist is an extremely poor idea.

Therefore I will delete any object that no longer exists or never
existed (after communication with mapper or other method to verify
whatever I am mistaken, with exception of highway=proposed).

It is important to avoid treating mapping completely destroyed railways
as OK - we already have terrible highway=proposed (mapped in some
valid places and many where projects are pure political fiction or
outright SF - like highway=proposed that used to be mapped across
Boering Strait*).

* Yes, I deleted it. I am not OK with mapping "abandoned railroads" (as
  in "traces of it are present") but railways where only trace is
  presence on old documents should not be mapped.