You appear to have completely misunderstood the discussion. No one said abandoned railways couldn't be mapped. Just that they shouldn't be mapped in OSM, because they *don't exist*. Abandoned tracks would be excellent as an OSM mashup imported from a separate database, which is actually what this guy has done - his overlay is *not* in google maps.