Hi Colin,

Beside the different opinions about proprietary and closed technology,
what is the point to add these 3 words as a tag? I don't really
understand the benefit, because the relation between location
(coordinates) and their address system is fixed. It's just a 3x3m grid.

In OSM every object has a geometry and you can query the w3w address
just using their API. So I don't see the point where it makes sense to
add such an address tag. It's like you add "latlon" as a tag.

Regards,
Daniel

On 22/11/15 22:37, Colin Smale wrote:

> Andy, you are right, if you accept that the 3 or 4 people who have
> participated in this discussion are representative of OSM at large.
> But the most active inhabitants of this list and others are limited
> to maybe 10 people, who frequently use authoritative-sounding
> language like "we are not doing it" and "it has no place in OSM"
> without the merest hint of "IMHO". I am not naming any names, and I
> don't want to get into any personal arguments, but it is a general
> frustration I have with the discussions on these lists.
>
> There may be many arguments against w3w in OSM, but I was kind of
> hoping that some of the attacks would also apply objectively to
> other entities which are or are not mapped in OSM. On-the-ground
> visibility was mentioned, and that is spurious in the sense that
> there are many other things in OSM which are not visible and are
> yet tolerated. Being proprietary was mentioned, but it is not
> really much more proprietary than the coordinates of UK postcodes
> used to be, and we were happily reverse-engineering them and adding
> them to point addresses and deriving district boundaries from that
> data. Through all that effort the proprietary nature (and the
> commercial value) of the PAF was to some extent diluted, and now a
> lot of this information is publicly available. Only time will tell
> if w3w takes off commercially. Right now they have had $5m of
> funding and have an impressive list of partners.
>
> --colin
>
> On 2015-11-22 14:01, ajt1...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> On 22/11/2015 12:51, Colin Smale wrote:
>>>

>>> ...and once again, as seems to be the norm in OSM, any
>>> minority interest which is not supported by the oligarchy gets
>>> mercilessly shot down.
>>>

>> ... except it's not _just_ the "oligarchy", is it?  No-one on
>> this list seems to have a good word for the original idea.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Andy (SomeoneElse)

- --
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan