Yesterday at our International Women's Day Mapathon in Bellingham, WA, one
of the participants wanted to add a pier on Bellingham's waterfront.
(Bellingham is located on Puget Sound) She created a polygon to define the
pier and tagged it man_man=dock in iD. Perfectly reasonable to a US english
speaker, but not according to the wiki. It should have been tagged a pier.
A quick overpass [1] check shows about 300 objects tagged as man_made=dock
in the US. All but one look incorrect. It seems to me that iD needs some
sort of heads up to the user. Either default dock to man_made=pier or
change the search to prompt the user to pick the correct tag.

Should it be requested as an enhancement to iD?

Clifford

[1] http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/eTo

--
@osm_seattle