While Tomas' reply is quite harsh, I can relate. Personally, I am not
a big fan how MAPS.ME development is directed. I asked them to
implement addr:place, which they didn't, and now that they have an
editor, people inadvertently mistag such addresses in villages without
street names (which are common in many European countries). Their
development seems to revolve around "next big marketable feature for
new market release". While there *is* polishing going on lately, it's
not enough. They fail to understand that devil is in the detail - and
that such small defects pile up. I find it odd that they can pull off
big features yet so often dismiss user-proposed enhancements as too
time-consuming or too hard to implement. Whoever watches their GitHub
closely will know what I mean.
My bottom line: you will never be perfect if you don't aspire to be. I
see that MAPS.ME could become a replacement for Google/Apple/HERE
maps, but only if they ask themselves what makes a map application
good. I don't know if they really intend not to go where others have,
or is it lack of self-awareness. For instance, who would think it's
reasonable (as in everyday-reasonable) to just display geo coordinates
on a map pin which doesn't happen to land on any symbol. Normal maps
do a reverse geocode. And so on, and so on. It's these nuisances that
pile up.

Michał