I would agree with leaving NASA out of the name=* tag as we similarly don't
name Fort Meade as ''United States Army Fort George G. Meade'' [0]. One
exception to having NASA in the name is the headquarters building in downtown
DC [1], but GSFC should probably have NASA removed from its name= field to be
consistent with the others.

> It remains to solve the JPL case, where the operator is the Caltech but it is
> a NASA center
> (http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=198909689)

For JPL, Caltech is indeed currently the operator under contract from NASA.
That is prominently noted in publications [2] and is already listed in OSM
under the operator= tag [3]. Perhaps adding an owner= tag with NASA as the
value can reflect the situation. Do note that the note= tag on the JPL way [3]
also already details this information.

Best,

Ethan

[0] http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/133445