On 16-08-11 15:04:20, Martin Koppenhoefer, wrote 0.7K characters saying:
I agree it isn't clean and it does clutter up the database to have multiple addressess containing the same information on nodes within a building but that is what we currently have.
it is a very stable way of doing things though, and a good way to operate when you work incrementally (as osm generally does). Even if the nodes are not perfectly positioned you get reliable addressing information for POIs this way. I am not convinced that simplifying these structures by moving address information from POIs to a container (like a plot or a building) is is beneficial for the project.
Duplicates are in general always bad and not neat. That's a thing that will/could bite us in the ass in the future (a city changing its name, its postcode, or merging a postcode with another city). An address by area can simply avoid easy spelling mistakes.

In Canada Postal Codes are not open data so the only way they can be used
is on an individual address.
I don't understand. What does it make that they are not open data ? One could know that all of their village has the same postcode, so they could simply add a addr:postcode=xxx to their village boundary ?

Cheers,

--
frank.villaro-dixon.eu       - PGP: 6F36914A
Envie d'électricité 100% verte ? Enercoop.fr