I think the long latitude is unfortunately well understand, groups nearby
places together and these days with word-processing and cut and paste not
that difficult to handle.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a check digit so if it's written with two
digits transposed you've had it.

Post offices depend on the address contain redundant information, a post
code can be misread or miswritten but if it has a street address as well it
stands a very good chance of being delivered.

I think the answer is to assist countries without addresses to one up with
a postcode town / village address that can be expanded to a house number at
a later date.

Difficult to remember?   Write it on a scrap of paper and pin it on the
wall.

Hopefully we can talk the Red Cross / World bank etc into doing some of
this sort of basic infrastructure work.

Cheerio John