With the influx of new mappers in the last few days, I've notices a number
of untagged ways and footpaths not connect to nearby streets in their first
edits. Some background. I am attempting to welcome new mappers in my state.
Using new user data from the IRC #som-bot channel with their first edits in
my state, I review the edit for quality and send them a welcome message and
sometimes a changeset comment as well.

Thanks to Bryan Housel for implement a fix [1] for unconnected ways in iD.
JOSM already checks for unconnected ways.

Currently there are 3,587,257,541 nodes and 289,561 ways (not part of a
relation.)

I believe having both iD and JOSM prevent uploading of untagged ways and
nodes would be a positive step to improve quality. JOSM has by far the
largest number of untagged ways, 162,289. iD has 55,199.

iD issue 3806 [2] requested that untagged ways would prevent the user from
uploading a changeset. Bryan thought it is fine for user to add an untagged
way for someone else to fix. I see his point that they may get discouraged
and not continue to contribute to OSM.

I would be interested in hearing from you why we should ever allow untagged
ways to be uploaded.

Clifford

[1]  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/3786
[2] https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/3806