On Tuesday 03 October 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Did your proposal also extend to geoemtries? You said something about
> bot:* tags, but if a bot were to orthogonalize an existing building,
> would it then have to create a copy of that tagged
> "bot:building=yes"? And how could that be differentiated from a
> building that originally had building=YES and the bot only lowercased
> the tag value?

My original idea was only about tags but it could be extended to
geometries of course - as i sketched in my reply to Martin, which would
essentially mean creating a copy for the building a bot orthogonalizes
if the building already has a manual building=yes tag.  If the bot only
changes the tag the building would remain a normal hand mapped geometry
but would get a bot:building=yes in addition to the building=YES.

Of course duplicating geometry data would make it much more difficult
for data users to make decisions about selectively using data and it
would make it much more difficult for editors to allow mappers to edit
the data correctly.  This is why i originally suggested this only for
tags - after all the vast majority of bot edits are tag modifications
only, geometry edits by bots are technically much more complicated to
do right so they happen less frequently.

As already said - if this approach is not considered favorably it is
always possible to use the other method and forbid bots to touch
anything with a bot=no tag and thereby allow mappers to opt out of bot
edits on a case-by-case basis.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/